Dairy Free - Gluten Free
Ok guys! This is the part where I let you in on my deepest darkest secrets. Only a few people are privy to this information but I think it’s time to share with you all…
I put quinoa in my salad (gasp).
Okay, nothing really deep or dark about that but I’ve been doing it for a long time now and I have been thinking lately about how excited I have been to share all of my new and exciting thoughts and recipes since starting my blog roughly 6 months ago, and forgot about all of the old faithfuls of the past.
Adding quinoa to your salad is a perfect way to add some extra nutrients and healthy grains to an already healthy meal, and to top it off, I like to cook my grains in bone broth, for EXTRA EXTRA good stuff! Especially now that Wrennyn is exploring more with food, he is still very hit and miss with what he will eat, but I always try to make sure whatever I give him is packed with as many good nutrients as I can squeeze in. I’m not quite at the hiding vegetables stage yet, can we just skip it all together please?
I’ve packed in more dark and leafy greens into this Caesar salad along with the traditional romaine for that dietary fibre, folic acid, and vitamin C. Topped with crispy brussel sprouts instead of croutons, which are seriously my favourite part, creamy zesty lemon dressing and spicy chicken with Harissa spices, this salad is definitely one of my favs!
I found my Harissa paste at my local Italian market place, which I literally had to be dragged out of. But you can also just use the spice mix or go all out and make your own! This salad has a few steps to it already so I saved time in buying the spice this time. Don’t be turned off by the process though, I promise you it’s worth it!
Harissa Chicken Caesar Salad with Crispy Brussel Sprouts & Quinoa
Spicy Harissa Chicken with Romaine, Spinach, Kale & Quinoa Topped with Crispy Brussel Sprout Shavings and a Creamy Lemon Dressing
- Prep Time: 10 Mins
- Cook Time: 45 Mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
For the Harissa Chicken
3 Large Chicken Breasts
1 Tbsp of Avocado Oil
3 Tbsp of Harissa Paste
1 Tsp of Crushed Garlic
1/2 Tsp of Fine Grey Sea Salt
For the Dressing
2 Egg Yolks
1 Tsp Crushed Garlic
1 Tsp of Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp of Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 Cup of Avocado Oil
Salt & Pepper to Taste
For the Quinoa
1/4 Cup of Quinoa
3/4 Cup of Bone Broth (I used powdered Bone Broth – 1 Tbsp of Bone Broth mixed with 3/4 Cup of Water)
For the Salad
1 Cup of Shaved Brussels (You can use store bought or run them through your food processor at home)
1 Tbsp of Avocado Oil
1/4 Tsp of Granulated Garlic Powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Cups of Romaine Rinsed and Ripped into Larger Pieces
3 Cups of Baby Kale and Spinach Mix
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl add chicken, avocado oil, Harissa paste and spices and combine so chicken is well coated
- Place chicken on baking sheet and allow to cook for approx 45 mins (depending on the size of your chicken breast)
- While the chicken is baking, add quinoa and bone broth to a small pot, bring to a boil, turn temp to low and cover pot. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes (or until fully cooked and liquid is fully absorbed)
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before serving
- Add egg yolks, garlic, lemon juice, dijon to a bowl and whisk together adding in apple cider vinegar and then slowly incorporating the oil, add salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium sized pan on medium heat, add oil, once heater add Brussel sprouts, garlic powder and salt & pepper. Allow to crisp but stirring occasionally so that the Brussels don’t burn.
- Once chicken has cooled slightly, slice chicken and place in a large bowl with romaine, spinach, kale, then add the quinoa and crispy Brussel sprouts to combine. Divide your servings and serve with dressing.
I noted this recipe makes roughly 4 meal sized servings but it may vary depending on the size of your chicken breasts or preferred portion size!