Oh hey, thanks for your interest in my story!
I’m Tanya, the gal behind Extra For Avocado and the endless talks of all things cheese 😉 Here’s a little bit about why I do what I do and what you can expect when you’re visiting the blog.
When I started Extra For Avocado, I was a very new first time mama to our little man Wrennyn. Just trying to figure out my new role in life, trying best to embrace the new and fit in some of the old as well. Although I’d always been a foodie, wine lover, and not so secret lover of cheese, I actually started out this blog as a way to share my journey back to fitness and health (as pregnancy and childbirth had presented me some health challenges). Being a Personal Trainer by profession, I for some reason felt obligated to share fitness and health related topics and shelved my love for entertaining, dinner parties, cooking for friends and family (maybe also because I was too tired at the time to do any of those things, lol).
So I initially shared recipes for whatever way of eating worked for me at the time, Keto diets, more plant based eating, healthy recipes in general, thoughts on fitness, budget meals, I literally gave everything a try but always felt something was missing at the end of the day, I mean, that wasn’t my whole life and it definitely wasn’t constant. Towards the end of this past year, I really decided to give my path with the blog some serious thought, what I was really passionate about and what I could really bring forward to share and help with my community. The light bulb came on, the one thing that had always been consistent in my life was my love of cooking for others, entertaining family and friends and I knew deep down my inner hostess was doing a happy dance that I finally figured it out!
So as of December 2018 (after a year and a half of blogging) I decided to focus the Extra For Avocado blog solely on all things entertaining at home, and instantly knew, THIS is where I’m meant to be!
Who knows why we feel compelled to share only certain aspects of our lives while our true passions lay hidden beneath the surface but I’m here now! I want to share all of my passion for making simple dishes that look beautiful to serve to your guests, family and friends alike.
Here's How I want to Help You!
I want your passions when hosting at home to shine through too, so here’s what you can expect:
- Meals for all levels of home cooking made simply and beautifully to impress your guests; everything from brunch to dinner parties, date nights, holiday dinners, and everything in-between
- All things hosting when it comes to holidays, I’ve got you covered!
- Charcuterie boards GALORE! Tips and step by step guides to creating your own stunning share boards
- Delicious cocktails and quenchers, home bar tips, tricks and my favourite products
- Simple modern inspiration for table settings, DIYS, and decor
- Tips on how to be your best ever host or hostess. All your guests will be talking you up!
- Did I mention cheese? ….
A Bit More About Me
I live in Calgary, Alberta with my husband Joel and our little man Wrennyn. We have 3 dogs and yes, it is chaos! We spend our spare time adventuring in the mountains, on our bikes, exploring farmers markets but mostly chasing our toddler around.
Other fun facts about me:
- I’m a personal trainer by profession. I’ve always been active and athletic, thankfully because I need to balance my love of food 😉
- Once upon a time in my early 20s, I wanted to get my red seal and be a chef but my twenties got in the way!
- I have lived overseas in Germany and all over Canada, spending 11 years living in sub-arctic Canada in Yellowknife, NT
- I’m a leftie, I hate can openers
- I have always loved food and photography but never imagined them together until now. I’m still amazed that I get to wake up and do both everyday!
Sound Good To You?!
If so I’d highly recommend you join my mailing list! I send out weekly exclusive content on tips and inspiration for entertaining over your weekend! Don’t worry, I’m not going to bombard you, just send you off a cocktail to try, or a different cheese or wine pairing option you maybe haven’t tried yet.