The Perfect Winter Bourbon Cocktails
These Bourbon Cocktails with Honey & Sage are perfect for sipping over winter and highly addictive. Super easy to make, with simple ingredients, they are sure to become a staple in cocktail rotation. Smooth bourbon, with sweet honey syrup with a touch of savoury sage finish with an orange zest to tie it all together.
I have to admit something…
I am falling hard for bourbon cocktails lately. I’ve never really been that in to bourbon, no one I really knew was drinking it, my parents didn’t drink it but on a recent visit to a nearby hotel lounge at Pomeroy Kananaskis Mountain Lodge, Joel and I tried a number of the cocktails from their new menu and I discovered I am definitely a fan of bourbon cocktails and the old fashioned. Especially when pair with citrus and herbs, smoke infused and in the case of one that we sample, a marshmallow they lit on top…sold right?!
And what is more fun than enjoying a new found love for a bourbon cocktail? It’s recreating your own at home! Let me tell you, for someone who is rather new to bourbon cocktails myself, this one couldn’t be better to start off with. The ingredients are super simple, and easy to put together.
What you need for these bourbon cocktails
Like I said, they are pretty straight forward! Minimal, simple but delicious ingredients that are easy to put together. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Fresh Sage
- Small Pot to make the honey sage syrup in
- Bourbon of your choice
- A Citrus Zester, or a veggie peeler works as well if you don’t have a zester
- More Fresh Sage for garnish
- Ice, I prefer using sphere ice cubes like the one from http://www.williams-sonoma.ca/silicone-ice-sphere-molds-set because they keep your cocktail cold much longer, but regular ice cubes are just fine too!
- 4 Cocktail glasses
I’m happy to say that the Extra For Avocado blog will be taking a new direction in the New Year! After trying a little bit of everything, I’ve finally come to settle my direction on one of the things I love best – entertaining!
Where I’ll still be sharing lots of delicious food inspiration my focus will be more on entertaining at home. Delicious easy to make recipes made beautiful to impress your guests, charcuterie boards, dinner party inspirations and how-tos, more cocktails and quenchers, table settings and much much more coming your way!
I’m really excited about the new direction of the blog and I hope you’ll enjoy it too!
Bourbon Cocktails with Honey and Sage
Bourbon cocktails with honey and sage, simple to make and easy to sip over the winter months. Smooth bourbon, with a touch of sweet and savoury!
- Yield: 4 Cocktails
HONEY SAGE SYRUP
- 1 Cup Honey
- 2 Cups Water
- 6 Large Sage Leaves
- 8 oz of Bourbon (2 oz. per cocktail)
- 16 oz of Honey Sage Syrup (4 oz. per cocktail)
- Sage to Garnish
- Orange zest to garnish
- To make honey sage syrup, add honey and water to a small pot and bring to a rolling boil, add sage leaves and allow to simmer for 10 minutes
- Remove from heat and strain removing sage leaves and allow to cool
- In 4 cocktail glasses, add ice, 2 oz bourbon into each glass, 4 oz of honey sage syrup into each glass and garnish with sage and orange zesthttp://www.williams-sonoma.ca/silicone-ice-sphere-molds-set
I like to use the sphere ice cube molds for these, I find they keep the cocktails cold a lot longer than regular ice cubes. These are the molds I used from http://www.williams-sonoma.ca/silicone-ice-sphere-molds-set