A 30 Minute Meal!
This Carne Asada makes for a great tasty and affordable way to enjoy steak throughout the week! Made with a flavour packed marinated flank steak cooked on the grill and paired with a super simple corn and tomato salsa. This steak is great on it’s or as apart of another dish! All made in 30 minutes aside from marinating time.
What is Carne Asada?
Carne Asada translates to “grilled meat”. It’s a Latin American dish that is prepared differently depending on origin but is traditionally marinated with spices and herbs, then grilled to get a nice char on the outside and sliced afterwards. It’s great on it’s own but there are many different options for serving this Carne Asada, for example in:
- On Top of Fries
- Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Coconut Aminos (A Soy Sauce Substitute)
- Orange Juice
- Lime Juice
- Cilantro Paste (Fresh is fine)
- Minced Garlic
- Finely Chopped Jalapeno
- Brown Sugar
- Cumin Powder
- Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper
Feel free to experiment with your marinade! It can be a simple or as complex as you like.
Tips For Making This Recipe
We happen to like our steak Medium Rare and I found that grilling the flank steak for roughly 10 minutes per side, removing it and allowing it to sit for an additional 10 minutes gave us a perfectly medium rare steak. Depending on how you enjoy yours, you may want to leave it on for more or less.
Remember the steak will continue to cook after you remove it from the grill as well and why it’s suggested you allow it to sit for another 10 minutes. It will also be juicier and more flavourful.
I suggest using the rest time to whip up the corn and tomato salas which only takes a couple of minutes.
Carne Asada with Simple Corn and Tomato Salsa
A delicious Carne Asada made with marinated flank steak, cooked on the grill and served with a simple but tasty corn and tomato salsa all made in 30 Minutes!
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
FOR THE MARINADE
- 1 Medium to Large Flank Steak
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of Coconut Aminos (or Soy Sauce)
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Juice of 1 Orange
- 3 Tbsp of Cilantro Paste or a Handful of Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- 2 Tbsp of Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Finely Chopped Jalapeno
- 2 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp of Cumin Powder
- 2 Tsp of Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper
FOR THE CORN & TOMATO SALSA
- 1 Cup of Cooked and Cooled Corn Kernels (I used frozen)
- 2 Cups of Chopped Tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes)
- Juice of Half a Lime
- 1 Tbsp of Cilantro Paste or Fresh Cilantro
- Salt and Pepper
- Place flank steak in a dish (covered) or ziplock bag with marinade ingredients and allow to sit for at least 4 hours to overnight in the fridge
- With the grill on medium heat, grill steak roughly 10 minutes on each side for medium-rare (longer if you desire it cooked more) and allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing
- While steak is sitting, add chopped tomatoes and corn to a medium sized bowl and add lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper. Stir to combine
- Making sure you cut against the grain of the steak, cut into slices
- Serve with corn and tomato salsa! You can eat it as is or as a part of another dish like tacos or salad.