Entertain and Stick to Your Health Goals Too!
This Citrus Shrimp Salad is all things fresh and easy and will still manage to impress your guests. Full of fresh and healthy flavours and spicy shrimp for good healthy proteins makes for the perfect side dish or starter for your first of the year dinner parties!
Ok so the holidays are over and I really want to pretend there isn’t still half a ham and the biggest Tupperware of scallop potatoes starring me in the face every time I open the fridge right now. Where I throughly enjoyed indulging in delicious heavier foods over Christmas, this girl needs some fresh fruit and greens!
The truth is, just because the hustle and bustle of the holidays ends come January, life still goes on! We still have birthdays, and events to celebrate. Catching up with friends we didn’t get to see over the holiday, and everything in between. Just because we’re entertaining doesn’t mean we have to go off track with our health goals for the New Year. There are tons of delicious, lighter options you and your guests will love and appreciate this time of year – like this Citrus Shrimp Salad!
Tips for Staying Healthy While Entertaining
Not everyone’s goals are created equally, but having guests over doesn’t mean you need to throw yours out the window. Here are a couple simple ways you can still host a great dinner party that everyone will enjoy!
- Don’t drink your sugars! Those cocktails can add up fast but you could offer a signature drink like a dressed up gin and tonic, champaign that didn’t get cracked at New Years, old fashioneds, Palomas, and for wines, a nice Pinot Noir or Syrah to name a few
- Try serving a couple lighter courses instead of a heavy main course, gradually fill up your guests with light starters or sides like this Citrus Shrimp Salad!
- Appetizers could be a nice little crudités platter (fresh raw veggies and a dip, like hummus or whipped feta)
- Dessert; don’t be afraid to skip it all together! You could also offer a small cheese platter with some pickled items, dried fruit, cheese and crackers to nibble on while you mingle or try a fresh fruit parfait!
How to Make this Citrus Shrimp Salad
This Citrus Shrimp Salad is pretty straight forward. The shrimp cook up nice and quickly and the salad comes together nicely but I will offer the follow tips:
- I would suggest making this salad fairly close to when you plan to serve it. It doesn’t take long or involve too much but because of the freshness of the ingredients, they tend to look less applying when left out too long – those avocados will get you every time!
- New to slicing citrus this way? Easy! Hold the citrus with the navel/stem facing left and right and make 1/2 inch slices. You won’t be able to use the ends. Then laying the citrus slice face down, take the pointy end of the knife and trace the blade between the peel and the flesh of the fruit carefully making a circle to remove the fruit. Voila!
- I mentioned that I used some salad dressing for mine, a nice champaign vinaigrette. It’s completely up to you if you wish to do the same! The lime and lemon juice mixed with the shrimp adds quite a bit of flavour when its all mixed together, I’m just a sauce girl and I like more
- I also mentioned finishing the salad with a nice sprinkle of flaked sea salt. I don’t reccomend substituting this for fine salt or table salt, it will not have the same effect and will make your salad super salty. I love Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
Citrus Shrimp Salad with Avocado
The perfect salad to keep it fresh after the heaviness of the holidays! This Citrus Shrimp Salad is a great dish to entertain guests and still keep on track with your health goals!
- Prep Time: 10 Mins
- Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Category: Side / Starter
- 340g of Large Uncooked Peeled and Deveined Shrimp (Shells removed, tails on optional)
- 1 Tbsp of Cooking Oil (Olive oil or avocado oil)
- 1 Tbsp of Chili Powder
- Juice of Half a Lime
FOR THE SALAD
- 5 Cups of Mixed Greens
- 1/3 Small Red Onion Thinly Sliced
- 2 Avocados Peeled and Thinly Sliced
- 1 Medium English Cucumber Thinly Sliced
- 2 Grapefruits Sliced into Rounds and Rinds Removed
- 2 Red Navel Oranges or Blood Oranges Sliced into Rounds and Rinds Removed
- 2 Navel Oranges Sliced into Rounds and Rinds Removed
- Small Handful of Fresh Mint Leaves
- Lime and or Lemon Juice to finish
- 2 Tbsp of Champaign Vinaigrette Dressing (I used Briannas Home Style Dressing) *
- Large Flake Sea Salt to finish
- In a large bowl, coat prepared shrimp with chilli powder and lime juice
- Bring a large pan with olive to heat and add shrimp, cooking for roughly 5 minutes or until completely pink and cooked throughout, remove from heat and set aside
- In a large bowl, toss mix greens with dressing (optional) add, citrus, avocado, cucumber and mint and gently toss to combine
- Add shrimp and squeeze a bit of extra lemon and lime juice over salad and sprinkle with a bit of finishing salt
- Garnish with additional mint and serve!
* Dressing is optional, the lime and lemon juices mixed with the flavours of the shrimp provide a nice little dressing as it is – I myself am a dressing fan so I like a bit more!