Perfect for the Grill!
This recipe is a prime example of why it’s always good to double test (or triple test) your recipes. I made these skewers not too long ago and they came about from my lack of groceries and using what we had in the fridge, which happened to all go together perfectly. I was delighted, my family loved them and I knew I had to share them but I still felt like something was missing. Also, because I had made them on a whim last time, I didn’t allow the chicken to marinade quite as long and it made a HUGE difference!
So if you’re planning on making these, they are perfectly fine all mixed together and thrown on the grill but I would highly recommend letting them marinade if you can. It just seemed to soak up the coconut flavours so much more and the juice from the limes, and they were SO tender.
My other favourite part about this recipe is that the entire meal (rice included) uses one whole can of coconut milk. Anyone else get super annoyed when you have to open a can of coconut milk and then only use a bit of it? Not this time! One half goes toward the marinade and the other half toward the rice. No storage necessary and no need to figure out what you’re going to use the rest for right away!
There are a couple steps involved in making this recipe but I still think it’s pretty straight forward and still deserves to be classified as an easy meal. It’s certainly worth it!
STEPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- Prep and marinade chicken (optional but definitely recommended)
- Assemble skewers
- Grill Skewers
- Cook Rice
I also finished mine off with some extra mint because I’m literally obsessed! It just elevates everything it’s added to in my opinion and adds such a nice, fresh flavour! As well as an extra squeeze of lime juice and you have yourself a pretty tropical meal that will be a big hit with whoever you’re serving it too. I know I’ll be making this for dinner guests over the summer!Print
Coconut Chili Lime Chicken Skewers with Coconut Mint Rice
Easy to make and perfect for grilling season. Creamy coconut, zesty lime and spices, they’ll impress the whole family!
- Prep Time: 4 Hours
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 Large Skewers
FOR CHICKEN SKEWERS
- 4 Large Chicken Breast Sliced into Small Strips
- 1/2 Can of Coconut Milk (I used full fat but feel free to use light coconut milk)
- Juice of 2 Limes and Lime Zest
- 1 Tbsp of Coconut Sugar
- 1 Tbsp of Chilli Spice
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- 1 Tsp of Granulated Garlic
- 1 Tsp of Sea Salt
- Extra Limes and Mint for Garnish (optional)
- 1 Cup of Basmati Rice
- 1/2 Can of Coconut Milk
- 2 Cups of Water
- 1/4 Cup of Finely Chopped Mint
FOR CHICKEN SKEWERS
- Slice chicken breasts into small strips and place in a medium sized glass dish
- Add coconut sugar, chilli spice, cumin, garlic, salt, and mix to coat well
- Add lime juice and lime zest and pour over half the can of coconut milk reserving the rest for the rice
- Cover dish and allow to marinade in the fridge for at least 4 hours
- Soak skewers in water while chicken is marinading
- Place chicken strips onto skewers
- Cook on a grill with a medium flame for approx 20 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked, flipping skewers mid way
- Squeeze lime over top and garnish with mint for serving (optional)
- Place rice in a medium sized pot and add remaining coconut milk plus 2 cups of water
- Bring rice to a boil and then bring to low and cover, allow to simmer for approx 15 minutes or until rice is fully cook and water is absorbed
- Add chopped mint to serve
*I use large skewers for mine, but this could also make 6-8 small to medium sized skewers depending on what size you have on hand