Thick & Creamy!
This squash sweet potato soup makes for the perfect bowl of soup to cozy up to on a cooler day! Made with in season acorn squash and sweet potatoes savoury spices and finished with some cream, enjoyed with some fresh cut bread, croutons, or snuggled up under a cozy blanket.
Nothing like a straight up, roasted veggie soup to warm you up from the inside out as we start to head into the cooler months. Squash sweet potato soup is always I favourite combo of mine, especially with all of the winter squash in season right now. My fruit bowl has little to do with fruit these days and more to do with squash it seems.
As we start to head into winter (can’t believe I just said that word) I usually try to make one homemade soup a week, for a number of reasons.
One: They’re easy to pack with veggies (which always seems to be my agenda with a toddler these days) I can easily put healing spices in them like ginger and turmeric, I also really like to sub out regular broth for immune system boosting bone broth. And mostly because they really are effortless for the most part and are always enjoyed. Whether you have a high speed blender or an immersion blender, that’s really all you need except for prepping your veggies.
Prepping Your Squash and Sweet Potato
I think some people can be overwhelmed when they’re not used to cooking with ingredients such as squash but it really couldn’t be an easier ingredients to work with!
The sweet potato should simple be peeled and cut into cut into cubes, larger cubes are fine because it will all be blended together in the end. Also, the sweet potato will be coated in some olive oil too so in cooks nicely.
For the acorn squash you will simple, using a sharp knife, cut it in half and lay it hollow side down on the pan (shown in the picture below) to bake, no oil needed and you should be able to poke straight through the outer skin with a fork when it is cooked through! Carefully (as it will be hot) flip it over and scoop the fleshy insides out and into the blender!
Creamy Acorn Squash Sweet Potato Soup
Super Creamy and Thick Acorn Squash Sweet Potato Soup. Made with simple in season ingredients and makes the perfect cozy bowl of soup!
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 5 Servings
- 1 Small Acorn Squash, Cut in Half and Seeds Removed
- 1/2 Large Sweet Potato, Washed Peeled and Cubed
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2 Celery Stalks, Diced
- 1 Large Carrot, Peeled and Diced
- 1/2 Cooking Onion, Peeled and Diced
- 1 Tbsp of Crushed Garlic
- 1 Tsp of Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp of Fresh or Dried Sage
- 1/2 Tsp of Paprika
- 4 Cups of Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 Cup of Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Toss sweet potato in 1 Tbsp of olive oil and place on one side of a large baking sheet, on the other side, place the acorn squash halves hollow sides down and bake for roughly 30 minutes or until full cooked and tender
- While the squash and sweet potatoes are baking, heat a medium to large (see notes, if using immersion blender use a large pot) and add remaining olive oil (1Tbsp) and sauté onion, carrots and celery until tender and onions become fragrant. Add garlic and spices and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes, before adding broth
- Allow broth mixture to simmer for 10-15 minutes, then turn off the heat
- Carefully scoop out the inside of the squash (it will be hot) and place into high speed blender, with sweet potatoes and pour mixture from pot in as well. Use the Soup Function to blend or blend on high for 4 minutes until soup is fully combined, creamy and thick
- Transfer soup back to pot and pour in cream, stir to mix
- Serve immediately with some extra cream drizzled on top, cracked black pepper or croutons