A Classic Comforting Soup!
TJust like the chicken soup you may remember having as a kid. Creamy and thick, full of mushrooms and wild rice, and shredded chicken. Pure comfort food and oh so perfect for those cooler days just like my Healthy Fall Style Turkey Chili. Made in just a few easy steps and guaranteed to warm you from the inside out!
Beginning of October here and I woke up to a snow storm this morning! Though not much surprises me anymore when it comes to weather here in Calgary I can’t say I was expecting it. Like literally…snow brushes were packed away, we just bought Wrennyn a new winter coat but hadn’t picked up snow pants, it took us a whole 2 hours to drop him off at daycare which is only 15 minutes away, and Joel had to get ready to leave for an out of town conference…it was a gong show to say the least!
I think my food blogger senses must have been tingling though because I already had this soup lined up to make today! The perfect dish to cozy up to on a snowy day. So thick and creamy and PACKED with flavour. Joel had a quick bowl on his way out the door to the airport and Wrennyn and I enjoyed it at dinner (no complaints), woot! Now I just have to figure out how to shovel the 3 feet of snow that has piled up and with a toddler. Guess it will be good cardio!
Tips for Making this Chicken Soup
- I usually pre cook some chicken breasts for the week and them shred them with a fork and use it as I need throughout the week but you could use rotisserie chicken or left over turkey would go great with this chicken soup as well!
- Just keep in mind that wild rice can take some time to cook so check it periodically to make sure it’s fully cooked and tender to bite
- Making a roux may sound complicated but it’s actually quite easy and will thicken up this chicken soup nicely! You want to make sure the butter is melted, then add the flour mixing it well for a minute or two and then adding a little bit of a cup of milk at a time to form a paste. It should take about 5 mins and then just add it right to the soup and stir well until fully combined
Creamy Wild Rice Chicken Soup
A hearty chicken soup packed with flavour! Wild rice, mushrooms and a creamy base. Just like you had when you were a kid!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 5 Servings
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Small Cooking Onion, Diced
- 2 Cups of Diced Carrot
- 5 Cups of Sliced Brown Mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp of Minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 Tsps of Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp of Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp of Fresh Thyme
- 1 Cup of Wild Rice
- 2 Cups of Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 6 Cups of Beef Broth
- 1 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup of Butter
- 1/2 Cup of Flour
- 1-1 1/2 Cups of Milk
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil on medium heat and add onions and carrots and sauté until tender
- Add garlic, mushrooms and seasonings continue to sauté for another 5 minutes
- Add the rice and beef stock and cover the pot, turning down heat and allowing to simmer for roughly 35-40 minutes or until rice is fully cooked
- Turn off heat and stir in shredded chicken, and heavy cream
- In a small pot on low heat, add butter to melt and once melted, stir in flour mixing well and allowing to thicken for a minute or two. Then slowly add in milk as needed to form a paste
- Remove roux mixture from heat and mix into soup well, this should thicken up the soup