Great for snacks or a light dessert!
Ok, I am ashamed to say how long it’s taken me to get these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins up on the blog. I set out with good intentions to post them towards the end of the week in case anyone was doing any baking this weekend and here I am 4 days later. Truth is I had my post all set up and ready to go and then I felt like I didn’t have anything to write about, oops!
It happens to me at least once a month, or after I’ve gone through creating and writing up a bunch of new recipes. I’ll start procrastinating…I get these spells of not feeling creative and without anything to right. I’m sure it happens to best of us and summer isn’t helping matter either when I just want to be outside as much as possible – YOLO.
Better late than never right?
Speaking of procrastinating, I always have a couple bananas on the way out since Wrennyn is crazy about ‘nanas’ and we have one in our smoothie almost every morning. The problem is I usually always leave them until they’re too far gone and the fruit flies start to move in and they fall apart as your trying to pick them up.
I’m not making myself sounds very good right?
I’ve been getting better! Besides, fresh baked banana muffins, especially when they involve CHOCOLATE never last long in this house with my husband and son’s taste for sweets. And what’s better than chocolate? Double chocolate of course!
Being a savoury gal myself, I have to say with the combo of the banana AND the double chocolate, they really weren’t super sweet. These double chocolate banana muffins are just the right amount to make for a nice light little dessert or a good snack! If you’re looking for a more savoury muffin though, I highly recommend you try my Cherry Ricotta Muffins as well!
Tips for Making These Muffins
- Try not to over mash your bananas, leaving some banana pieces adds for a great texture in the muffins!
- If you’re not using muffin liners, make sure your muffin pan is well greased so the muffins come out easily once they’re done
- If you don’t have avocado oil, go ahead and use olive oil instead!
- Try and fill the batter close to the top of the pan for a ‘good muffin shape’
- Reserved some chocolate chips to sprinkle on top once you’ve poured in the batter
Chocolate Banana Muffins
A sweet addition to a classic banana muffin. Cocoa powder and melty chocolate chips. They won’t last long once they’re out of the oven!
- Prep Time: 10 Mins
- Cook Time: 25 Mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 Muffins
- 2.5 Over-ripe Bananas
- 1/3 Cup of Milk (I used 2%)
- 1/2 Cup of Avocado Oil
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1 2/3 Cup of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp of Baking Soda
- 2 Tbsp of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2/3 Cup of Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp of Salt
- 1/3 Cup of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips + some reserved to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with liners
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Leave some bananas chunks – try not to puree
- Add milk, oil, egg and vanilla and whisk until well combined
- Add rest of ingredients and stir to combine
- Pour batter into liners filling to just about the top
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for roughly 20-25 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes, remove from pan and allow to fully cool on a cooling rack