Great For Weekday Lunches or Snacks
Switch up your regular tuna salad with this easy to make, healthy Asian inspired tuna salad stuffed into avocados. These little tuna salad boats are packed full of healthy fats and are a perfect option for a lunch, served with a side salad or a good afternoon snack to hold you over. Also mentionable – They’re super fun to eat!
Happy National Avocado Day!
I heard from a little birdie that today is National Avocado Day! Which works out perfectly since I had this post lined up to share, winning! So in celebration I thought I’d share some avocado facts, a few thanks to this fun article from Mind Body Green – 11 Fun Facts About Avocados…I mean with my blog name it’s almost my duty to mention right?
- Avocados are rich in fibre: There are roughly 10g of fibre in one medium avocado
- Avocado is actually a fruit! A single-seeded berry to be exact!
- Avocado is full of heart healthy Mono-saturated Fats that help boost good cholesterol (HDL) and help lower bad cholesterol (LDL)
- Avocados are sometimes also referred to as alligator pears because of their shape and rough green outer skin
- An avocado is also roughly the shape of a baby in the womb at around 16 weeks! And make for good baby food (though my little guy still isn’t a fan, heartbroken to say the least)
Tips for Making This Recipe
- Make sure your tuna is well drained! Otherwise it will be somewhat soggy, especially after adding the other ingredients
- Make sure your avocados are nice and ripe: Your avocado should be a darker green and somewhat soft to squeeze, but don’t squeeze to hard. Another way to tell is by removing the stem. Check out this fun video from BuzzFeed for more info!
- If you’re packing this as a lunch on the go or at the office, I would recommend taking the tuna salad portion in an air tight container with you and keeping your avocado intact and only halve it and remove the seed to fill with the tuna salad once you’re ready to eat. That way you can avoid the browning of the avocado while it’s waits to be eaten
- Also if you think you’ll have a hard time eating it as is, you can always slice the avocado in half, remove the seed and then use a large spoon to remove the avocado from the skin and then top with the tuna salad. I left the skin on for presentation purposes.
Easy Asian Tuna Salad Avocado Boats
Tuna salad with an Asian flair made in minutes and stuffed into avocados. Great for weekday lunches and packed full of healthy fats!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 10 Minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 Cans of Flaked White Tuna in Water Drained
- 3 Large Avocados, Halved and Pit Removed
- 1/4 Cup of Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp of Coconut Aminos (or Tamari, Soy Sauce)
- 1 Tsp of Sriracha
- 1/2 Tsp of Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Chopped Scallions
- 1/3 Cup of Shredded Carrot
- Sesame Seeds to Garnish (optional)
- Make sure your tuna is well drained, you don’t any extra liquid
- In a medium sized bowl, add tuna and separate with a fork
- Add yogurt, Coconut Aminos, Sriracha, Chili Powder, Season with Salt and Pepper to liking, Shredded Carrot and Scallions and mix to combine
- Divide mixture and place on top of avocado halves, if they’re having problem sitting up you can slice a bit off of the bottom to make them more level
- Garnish with sesame seeds and extra carrot and scallion (optional)