Vegetable Soup for Adults - Your Kids Will Love Too!
Packed full of good hearty vegetables like carrots and zucchini and tender orzo soaking up all of those good flavours, this is literally an amped up adult version of that vegetable soup you used to get a kid. Your kids will love it too, bonus!
No word of a lie, I have been making this vegetable soup on REPEAT! It has been so on and off cold here and this soup comes as a perfect in between, so I can pack in those veggies too!
Especially with our little guy in daycare, I feel like I’m on full defence against all of the germs going around this time of year so when I saw he had the sniffles last week, I whipped up a batch of this soup and some grilled cheese – he didn’t even care about the grilled cheese he just downed the soup. Serious mom wins. and big people wins too, because since I added orzo to this otherwise simple vegetable soup, I made it into a next level adult version of that vegetable soup you used to get as a kid!
It also stores perfectly in the fridge to use throughout the week too, so stay safe and germ free out there friends and make up an easy batch of this soup to cozy up to!
What You Need for this Vegetable Soup with Orzo
You’ll be surprised for the modest amount of simple ingredients, just how flavourful this soup is! The orzo soaks up all of those spices and tastes, making for the perfect tender and filling part of this soup. It’s light, healthy, but still hearty!
So here’s what you’ll need!
- Some chopped onion, I used half an onion because my hubby isn’t a huge onion fan but I still found the flavour was on point.
- Fresh chopped carrots, or cut them how you like, I tend to go smaller because of my two year old
- Fresh chopped zucchini, same as above
- Butter, now you could sub for olive oil or coconut oil, I just love butter and orzo together and feel you really get the best taste with butter!
- Uncooked orzo pasta – if you’re new to cooking with orzo, check out the section on orzo below!
- Tomato paste to thicken it up
- Crushed tomatoes
- Chicken broth, or vegetable broth if you want to make this soup vegetarian
- Spices, like oregano, thyme, smoked paprika and salt & pepper
What is Orzo?
New to cooking with Orzo? Well you are in for a treat! Orzo, or Risoni, though it looks like rice is a short-cut pasta often used in soups (hello!), salads and is delicious warm or cold! Much like risotto which is a grain of rice, orzo tends to soak up whatever liquid it’s cooked in giving it a tender and flavourful texture and taste!
It does often get confused which rice, and whether or not you can sub one for another which I feel is completely dependant on the dish but this article from Southern Living gives a good over look on the confusion is you’re curious!
Easy Vegetable Soup with Orzo
Filled with vegetables and orzo pasta – this Easy Vegetable Soup with Orzo is like a delicious grown up version of that vegetable soup you were given as a child!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 Tbsp of Butter
- 1/2 Onion Diced
- 3 Large Carrots Peeled and Chopped
- 2 Large Zucchini Chopped
- 2 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
- 1 Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Cup of Orzo Pasta
- 1 900ml Container of Chicken Broth*
- 1 Tsp of Sea Salt
- 1/4 Tsp of Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp of Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp of Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp of Smoked Paprika
- In a large pot on medium heat, melt butter
- Add carrot and onion and allow to cook for 5 minutes until carrots are slightly soft, then add zucchini and cook for another 3 until zucchini is slightly tender
- Stir in tomato paste and mix to blend, then adding orzo and mix to blend
- Season with spices and add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth, mix to combine everything
- Turn heat down slightly and allow to simmer for roughly 20 minutes, until orzo is fully cooked and soup has thicken slightly
- Remove and serve!
*Vegetarian Version: Sub the Chicken Broth for Vegetable broth