Perfect for Snacks or a Light Dessert
Making these muffins today preparing for my Dad coming home tomorrow to visit us for a couple weeks from Kenya where he lives most of the year and I’m busy cleaning the house and getting ready for his arrival. As well as getting ready for Wrennyn’s 2nd birthday on Saturday, so I have a to-do list about a mile long.
One of the things on my list though is to go through and use up whatever I can in the fridge because one thing is for certain, our fridge is always jammed packed when my dad is home to visit. I get all of my foodie habits from him and we always collect things (food & wine) in the fridge while he’s home. That and all of the treats he brings home with him, like my favourite Kenyan honey and the most amazing cheeses from his layover in Amsterdam. Needless to say, I’m going to spend the next couple weeks eating some good and probably a few less than healthy treats.
I noticed my cherries weren’t looking as fresh anymore and I had some leftover ricotta from a pizza I made not too long ago and knew they’d go well together in some muffins. Who doesn’t need more muffins in their life? Especially when they have ricotta in them!
Finished with a little powdered sugar (optional) these muffins make the perfect snack enjoyed alongside tea or coffee, or even for a light dessert.
It just so happens that cherries are in season right now for summer, but if you’re looking to make this recipe at another time you can also use frozen cherries.
If you’re looking for some other recipe for seasonal fruit for summer, consider the following:
Fresh Baked Cherry Ricotta Muffins
Made with fresh seasonal fruit – These Cherry Ricotta Muffins are the perfect snack or light dessert!
- Prep Time: 10 Mins
- Cook Time: 25 Mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 Muffins
- 1 3/4 Cups of Cherries (Pitted and Chopped)
- 1 Cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Cup of Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup of Melted Butter
- 1 Tbsp of Lemon Juice + Zest of one Lemon
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tbsp of Baking Soda
- 3/4 Cup of Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Powdered Sugar for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tray with paper liners or grease
- In a medium bowl mix together ricotta, eggs, buttermilk, butter, lemon juice and zest, and vanilla
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix to combine, then fold in cherries
- Distribute mixture between in muffin tray and place in oven
- allow to cook for approx 25 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean
- Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack