I’ve partnered with Turkey Farmer’s of Canada to keep you on your journey to good health throughout 2020 with these delicious, easy to plan and make Greek Turkey Meatball Gyros. A fun and flavour packed meal the whole family will enjoy! Whether you’re meal planning for the week or for a gathering, these Greek Turkey Meatballs are sure to make it into your regular line-up.
We are getting ready to wrap up January and the healthy eating continues for what I hope is the rest of the year! When I’m meal planning for my family with for our health in mind, food still has to meet my standards on flavour and these Greek Turkey meatballs are definitely not short on flavour! Fresh herbs, tangy feta and a hint of fresh lemon, they are not only incredibly easy to put together but they’re also gluten free – no bread crumbs required. Served in fresh pitas with your favourite fresh toppings, they are great for family dinners throughout the week or weekend and even better for lunches during the week. I’ve also given you a couple ideas for how you can use these turkey meatballs in your meal planning throughout the week!
Reasons I love Cooking with Turkey
I love cooking with turkey! I find ground turkey makes a great lean substitution for other meats. I use it in chilis, meatballs (obviously), burgers, pastas, the list goes on. To me it’s a healthy option for my family and our little guy always enjoys it. It’s versatile, easy & convenient to buy and store in the freezer and works so great with so many flavours. This time of year with so many health goals that start and continue throughout the year, I love including turkey in our meal planning, with these Greek Turkey meatballs being a great example.
Let's Talk Toppings
I left this part pretty open because we all have our preferences right? There is no right or wrong when it comes to fresh healthy ingredients so go ahead and pack on those fresh vegetables, fresh herbs, yogurt-based sauces like tzatziki, and I’ll give you a couple of ideas to roll with!
- Fresh lettuce or spinach
- Sliced cucumber
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced red onion
- Diced green pepper
- Fresh herbs like mint, oregano, dill, thyme
- Extra lemon zest or a nice squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Extra crumbled feta cheese
- Plain yogurt, tzatziki, maybe a little hot sauce
- Kalamata olives, roasted red pepper pieces
- Salt & pepper
Ok, this recipe makes 20 delicious little meatballs and if you’re serving to a crowd at a gathering, or a bigger family dinner, this recipe will work just fine. BUT, it also works great for a meal prep Sunday for the week too! Aside from these gyros, there are lots of options to use these turkey meatballs for other healthy meals throughout the week as well.
I have a couple ideas for you!Make up a delicious salad with fresh crunchy vegetables, a nice creamy (or not) dressing and add a couple meatballs to it
- Cook up some zoodles, with a nice pesto, meatballs and some extra feta crumbled on top for lunch or dinner
- Make a Mediterranean style power bowl with quinoa, chickpeas, meatballs and roasted vegetables
- Have yourself a nice little snack with some tzatziki for dipping and some cucumber slices on the side
- Toss them on a cauliflower or thin crust pizza shell with some spinach, feta and mozzarella and enjoy a lighter pizza night!
These meatballs will last in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week or in freezer safe storage in the freezer for up to a month. Sometimes I like to double batch the recipe to have even more on hand to use as I need.
They can be reheated nicely in a pan, stove top with a little avocado oil or on a baking sheet in the oven at 350F until heated through. Time may vary depending on whether or not you reheated from the fridge or freezer.
Greek Turkey Meatball Gyros
Full greek flavours and lean turkey, these Greek Turkey Meatball Gyros are a great way to keep you health goals on track into the New Year without sacrificing flavour!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 20 Meatballs 6-7 Servings
For Turkey Meatballs
- 1.5 lbs of ground turkey
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 Cup of crumbled feta, plus more for gyros
- 2 Tbsp of fresh chopped dill
- 1 Tbsp of lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp of fresh chopped oregano
- 1 Tbsp of fresh oregano
- 1 Tsp of garlic powder
- 1 Tsp of kosher salt
- 1/2 Tsp of ground pepper
Ideas for Gyro Toppings
- Fresh pitas
- Romaine lettuce
- Sliced cucumber
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced tomato
- Crumbled Feta
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Fresh Mint
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a large baking tray with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, add ground turkey, egg, herbs, spices, lemon rind and mix well to combine
- Add crumbled feta and fold into mixture
- Scoop out 1.5 Tbsp sized amounts of mixture and form into meatballs, place on the baking sheet
- Bake for roughly 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165F
- Remove and serve in fresh pita with desired toppings (3 meatballs per serving)
Meatballs can be stored in an airtight container and stored in the fridge for 1 week or in freezer friendly storage for a month and used as needed.
Reheat in a greased pan or in the oven at 350F until warmed through (time will vary depending on refrigerated or frozen)