Fresh Summer Berry Salad!
I’ve been having such a hard time getting into the summer dishes so far this year. I feel like it probably has a lot to do with the rainy weather we’ve been having such much of but I’m not letting it hold me back any longer! Bring on all of the fresh berry salads and summer treats before all of this delicious seasonal fruit is gone. Which is sometimes all too soon here in Canada.
Also convincing, was the flat of fresh local grown and picked raspberries a spied at the grocery store the other day. Berries are always a win in my household. If I let him, our two year old would have probably eaten the whole flat to himself in one sitting. I knew I had to get a couple recipes in before he got them all, starting with this serious summer berry salad with grilled chicken, fresh greens, crumbled feta and my absolute new fav dressing. This fresh raspberry chipotle vinaigrette is the perfect amount of sweet and a hint of spicy and goes so well with the grilled chicken, I’m seriously obsessed with it!
Do not fear homemade dressings my friends! It may seem daunting given that you’re already cooking a full meal to add making a dressing on top of everything else, but I guarantee you it’s worth it and so much easier than you think!
Most of us have high speed blenders these days, super helpful in that all you really need to do is throw in your ingredients and blend on high to achieve that nice creamy emulsified consistency you want from a nice vinaigrette.
It’s gives you the option to use fresh ingredients so you know exactly what’s going into your dressing. There are a lot of healthier options out there these days but there are also a lot of less than health hidden ingredients sometimes as well.
I like using fruit that’s sometimes not as fresh or on it’s way out for dressings like this. Less food waste is always a bonus!
Tips for Making this Salad
Not overly complicated, this salad leaves room for option!
- Use fresh berries of your choice. I used raspberries, blueberries and blackberries but if you’re not a fan of blackberries lets’ say – try strawberries!
- I like to brush my chicken with olive oil and give it a good coating of spices so it gets a nice crispness on the outside. The texture goes so well with the rest of the salad
- I would recommend drizzling you sauce over top, you can determine how much you want
- I used some crumbled feta on top but goat’s cheese would go great with this berry salad as well
- If you have dressing leftover, store in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days for other use
Looking for More Salad Recipes?
Grilled Chicken Berry Salad with Raspberry Chipotle Vinaigrette
Grilled Chicken with Fresh Summer Berries and a Sweet and Spicy Raspberry Chipotle Vinaigrette – Your perfect light and flavourful summer meal!
- Prep Time: 10 Mins
- Cook Time: 30 Mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 Servings
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- Your Favourite Chicken Seasoning (I used Club House Montreal Chicken Grilling Spice)
- 2 Cups of Spinach Arugula Mix
- 3/4 Cup of Mixed Fresh Berries (I used Raspberries, Blueberries and Blackberries)
- 1/2 Cup of Crumbled Feta
RASPBERRY CHIPOTLE DRESSING
- 1 Pint of Fresh Raspberries
- 1/3 Cup of Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp of Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp of Sugar
- 2 Tsp of Chipotle Adobe Sauce
- 1 Tbsp of Dijon
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Brush chicken with olive oil and season with salt & pepper and chicken seasoning and place on the grill
- Allow chicken to cook for 10-15 minutes before flipping, continuing until fully cooked (approx 10 mins depending on size of chicken breasts)
- In a high speed blender, add ingredients for vinaigrette and pulse until fully combined and smooth in consistency
- Divide greens between two bowls, as well as berries and feta
- Slice chicken breasts and place onto, drizzling desired vinaigrette over top