The Perfect Summer Appetizer!
Concerts, long weekends and BBQs with friends having me whipping up all of the summer appetizers!
Joel and I were lucky to see one of our favourites, Vance Joy in concert last night which made for the perfect date night. Believe it or not, this was our first legit concert together! How is that even possible? Oh right, kids, lol.
As a treat for our Thursday night date and leading up to the long weekend here for us (Canada Day) I thought I’d kick thing off with a nice little Rose Sangria and these delicious Grilled Peach and Halloumi Bites for a little appetizer before we set off for the show!
Made in minutes on the grill and so flavourful, these bites are a must try for your next backyard get together or even just a nice weekend treat! Summer peaches made juicy on the grill and fresh basil from my herb garden, with the brined halloumi cheese slightly melted on the grill to have a bit of crisp on the outside and soft and chewy inside, all stacked on some fresh ciabatta I picked up from our local Italian Market. If you don’t have access to ciabatta, try a nice dense crusty bread that will toast well on the grill.
WHAT IS HALLOUMI CHEESE?
Described by Springbank Cheese Co. Halloumi is a traditional white cheese from Cyprus that has been produced on the island for centuries. It’s a semi hard cheese, usually produced from sheep’s milk with an addition of mint.
Because of high melting point, halloumi cheese is great for frying or cooking on the grill!
TIPS FOR MAKING THESE BITES
- This recipe makes 16 bites, but I suggest leaving the halloumi and ciabatta bread in bigger slices initially, so it’s easier to handle on the grill
- Keep an eye on your peaches when grilling! you want the flavours of the peach to be elevated and nice grill marks but you don’t want them to be mushy. They should still be firm
- These bites are best served right away but if you want to enjoy them again, just pop them in the oven on a baking sheet for a couple minutes on 375F
Grilled Peach & Halloumi Bite Appetizer
The perfect summer appetizer – cooked in minutes on the grill!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 Bites
- 2 Packages of Halloumi Cheese Cut in 4 Lengthwise Slices for each package (8 Slices total)
- 2 Large Peaches Cut into 8 Slices Each (16 total)
- 16 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 Medium Flat Ciabatta Loaf Cut in half
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- Preheat gril to medium heat
- Brush halloumi slices and ciabatta loaf with olive oil
- Place halloumi slices, peaches and ciabatta on grill
- Paying close attention, allow halloumi and peaches to cook for roughly 3 minutes then flipping over to cook for another 3 minutes or until halloumi starts to soften and peaches become juicy but still firm and ciabatta is slightly toasted but not hard
- Remove everything from the grill and cut halloumi slices into halves so there will be 16 bite sized pieces in total
- Cut ciabatta loaf into 16 bite sized pieces as well
- Using toothpicks to hold together, start assembling with a piece of ciabatta as the base, a piece of halloumi, fresh basil and finished with a peach slice
- Serve immediately!