Healthy Soup Recipes
A little Dill Chicken Soup for the soul to add to your healthy soup recipes for the winter. Fresh lemon and fresh dill add the perfect flavours to this classic comfort food. Whether you’re just wanting to warm up to a nice comforting bowl of soup or stay in your best health over the cold winter months, this delicious easy to make soup is here to help!
Real talk here today, this soup was completely inspired by a super ‘off’ day a couple days back. This time of year, with the extra business around Christmas always adds to my anxiety. Like an other area of stress in your life, usually if you leave it too long, it’s takes a toll on not only your mental health but also you’re physical. I know when I get stressed out I tend to get sick pretty easily, and ain’t no body have time to be sick before Christmas! Right?!
So instead of my usual work day while Wrennyn was in daycare one of his two days a week, I decided to just take the day to myself. I completely avoided my computer and phone, I relaxed and did some writing and brainstorming, I watched the finale to The Final Table on Netflix (so recommend) and the only cooking I did was to make this dill chicken soup. It couldn’t have went better with the day I had! Like a warm hug, there’s just something about chicken soup that heals the soul. Add in some fresh dill and lemon and you have yourself a level favourite! Perfect to add to your winter line up of healthy soup recipes. I know I’ll be making this throughout the winter to help with my immune system over this stressful time of year or just because it’s that tasty too 😉
Options for Making This Soup
The great thing about this soup is that the only part that takes some time is cooking the chicken, but there are ways to make it go a little quicker too if you’re in a rush!
- If you have the time, go ahead and bake your chicken breasts. A little bit of olive oil on a baking sheet on 350F until they are fully cooked. Then shred with two forks.
- Or if you’re an Instant Pot fan like me, I cook my chicken in the pressure cooker, 10 minutes on high with a little chicken stock and they come out perfect! A serious life saver when you’re crunched for time.
- Then there’s the good old store bought rotisserie chicken to the rescue! Shred up about 2 cups worth of chicken to add to your soup and enjoy the rest with your lunches or perhaps these easy to make Pesto Chicken Asparagus Stuffed Sweet Potatoes for the next day.
Healthy Dill Chicken Soup
This Dill Chicken Soup is definitely one you’ll want in your line up for healthy soup recipes for the winter season. Easy to make and will warm you up from the inside out!
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 Minutes
- 2 Large Cooked Chicken Breasts Shredded (You can use rotisserie chicken as well 2 Cups)
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion Diced
- 4 Celery Stalks Chopped
- 4 Large Carrots Peeled and Sliced into Rounds
- 1 Tbsp of Fish Sauce
- 1 Tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tbsp of Fresh Chopped Dill Plus Extra for Garnish
- 6 Cups of Chicken Stock
- If you need to cook your chicken, do so first in your preferred method or shred rotisserie chicken *See notes for how I cooked mine
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and add carrots, celery and onions and sauté for 5-10 minutes, until onions are translucent and carrots are tender
- Add salt & pepper to liking, fish sauce, lemon juice, dill and chicken stock
- Stir in chicken and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Serve with extra fresh dill if you’d like!
*I cooked my chicken breasts in my Instant Pot on High for 10 minutes with 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock. Always use your Pressure Cooker to manufacturer’s recommendations