A Healthy Take on Comfort Food
When you’re craving the comfort of a good old crispy fried chicken without the less than healthy coating…try this Oven-Fried Chicken made with spelt bread crumbs, baked in the oven to be crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Fresh herbs and a drizzle of honey make for the perfect dish!
Typical Alberta weather – we’re in our first week of summer and the next week calls for a full 7 days of rain and thunder showers. Not that I mind at all, rainy days are my jam! Love that it’s still warm but cool enough to wear a nice cozy sweater, putting on music and working away in the kitchen with a hot cup of tea. Maybe even my absolute fav, a nice afternoon nap with the windows open listening to the rain fall.
I’m also looking forward to being able to ‘comfortably’ use the oven. I’m seeing some comfort food in my immediate future like my healthy version of ‘Fried Chicken’.
I used spelt bread crumbs to make this recipe. Although spelt itself is not gluten free it has been shown to be more beneficial than it’s distant cousin wheat.
WHAT IS SPELT?
- Spelt is an ancient grain and distant cousin to wheat. It tastes slightly nutty and sweet
- Compared to wheat, spelt is richer in nutrients such as protein and minerals but since it still contains gluten it’s still good to use in most baking recipes
- It has a high water solubility so it’s easier to digest for those who might have a wheat intolerance
According to the Benefits of Eating Spelt Flour from Livestrong
If you don’t have access to Spelt Bread Crumbs and you have no problems with wheat – feel free to use regular bread crumbs!
Tips for making this Oven-Fried Chicken
- Make sure seasonings are mixed well into the flour so they make it on to the chicken when you dredge them
- Make sure your baking sheet is oiled so your chicken doesn’t stick to the bottom
- When coating you’re chicken try to cover everything so there are no spots left bare
- Leave the chicken to bake, no flipping required!
- It’s completely optional but I would recommend serving your chicken with some extra chopped herbs and a good drizzle of your favourite honey!
Looking for more Healthy recipes?Print
Healthy Oven-Fried Spelt Crumb Chicken
Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside – This healthier take on fried chicken is guilt free comfort food at it’s finest!
- 4 Large Chicken Breasts
- 1 Cup of All Purpose Flour (or flour of choice)
- 2 Cups of Spelt Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tbsp of Fresh Chopped Basil
- 1 Tbsp of Fresh Chopped Oregano
- 1 Tsp of Sea Salt
- 1/4 Tsp of Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp of Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp of Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 1/2 Cup of Milk
- Honey to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F and using olive oil, grease a medium baking sheet
- Mix flour, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder together and place on a large plate
- Beat eggs and add milk in a medium bowl
- Add spelt bread crumbs and fresh chopped herbs to a large plate
- Dredge chicken in flour mixture first, making sure to fully coat, then fully coat in egg mixture followed by coating in spelt bread crumb mixture
- Repeat with other 3 chicken breasts and place on baking sheet
- Place baking sheet in oven and allow to cook for approx 30 mins (time will vary based on size of chicken breast) until chicken is fully cooked and crisp on outside
- Serve immediately with honey drizzled over top and additional fresh chopped herbs