Delicious, Saucy & Tender!
Sure to be a hit at your next backyard get together or even just dinner throughout the week. This Instant Pot Pulled Pork is tender and saucy even though it’s cooked in half of the time with a conventional slow cooker. Easily made in 30 minutes and great in sandwiches, tacos, and many other dishes!
Always one of my go-tos when meal planning for the week, I just love pulled pork! I find it’s always one of those big returns on little effort sort of meals.
In the past, I would usually have the slow cooker set up on a Sunday with the intent to make some pulled pork for the week. Though now, with the Instant Pot, I can make this dish any night of the week on the fly and 30 minutes, I still have that juicy, tender pulled pork ready to go.
I personally love pulled pork sandwiches, but this Instant Pot Pulled Pork is so versatile! Good for many dishes, like tacos, stuffed into sweet potatoes, or served along salads for a healthier option throughout the week.
Tips for Making This Recipe
- When preparing your pork, I would suggest trimming off the larger bits of fat. Cut your pork should into large pieces – You want it all to fit nicely into the bottom of the Instant Pot without a ton of overlapping but not small enough that it’s hard to shred.
- Pick your favourite BBQ sauce! Keep in mind, whatever sauce you choose will determine the flavour of this pulled pork. A sweeter sauce, tangy or spicy. I tend to go with a more original sauce since our little guy isn’t a fan of spicy flavours just yet.
- Season your pork shoulder pieces while the sauté function heats up. By searing them first you’ll lock in all of those flavours and won’t lose them while it’s cooking.
- Don’t forget to pour the water in after removing the pork once you’re done searing both sides. This will deglaze the pot and make sure the bits on the bottom won’t get burnt during the cooking process!
- Always use your pressure cooker to the manufacturer’s guidelines! As a reminder. You’ll want to make sure the pressure has been completely released naturally before opening the lid. Be careful though when pulling the pork apart, you don’t want to burn yourself on the edge of the pot.
Other Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Pulled Pork in 30 Minutes
Delicious and saucy Instant Pot Pulled Pork made in 30 minutes! Juicy and tender, you’ll want to make sure you have extra napkins on hand!
- 2 Lbs of Pork Shoulder, Fat Trimmed and Cut into Large Pieces (about 6 pieces)
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp of Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp of Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- 1 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp of Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp of Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp of Chilli Powder
- 2 1/2 Cups of You Favourite BBQ Sauce
- 1 1/2 Cups of Water
- Combine spices and coat pork shoulder pieces on all sides
- Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté function and add oil
- Once heated, add pork pieces in trying not to over lap and sear pork for 3 minutes roughly, flipping over carefully with a long set of tongs and sear for another 3 minutes.
- Remove pork and deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot with the water, just to loosen the cook bits at the bottom so they don’t burn. Cancel the sauté function
- Return the pork pieces to the Instant Pot and pour the BBQ sauce over top.
- Close the lid and make sure the pressure valve is in the proper setting and on the Manual function, set to 20 minutes on high
- Once the 20 minutes is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally, 10-15 minutes or so before removing the lid
- Using two forks, pull apart and shred pork pieces
- Serve as you wish!
*Please always use your pressure cooker by the manuals instructions