Quick & Easy Breakfast
If you’re looking for a way to shake up your breakfast routine, these Mexican Egg Bites will do just the trick! Easy to make, with just a handful of ingredients but big on flavour! Crisp baked tortilla, egg, black beans, pepper jack cheese and a bit of kick from the thin sliced chorizo. These eggs cups are packed with healthy protein to get your morning started right!
If I could say there is one type of recipe I collect more than others it is definitely recipes for eggs and breakfast inspo. Just when I think I’ve found my forever breakfast egg recipe, I stumble over a new one, not even mad about it.
These Mexican Egg Cups are sort of my take on a breakfast burrito, since trying to get a two year old to eat anything in wrap form is next to impossible! Also handy, is that you can make as many or as little as you want. Maybe you’re just making them for one breakfast or you’re planning for the week with meal prep, it’s really easy to adjust the recipe for what you need.
Serve with some sliced avocado, salsa or my personal fa, pico de gallo, or go crazy and put some hot sauce on there too!
These Mexican Egg Cups are about as straight forward as it comes but I do have a couple tips!
- I found mini tortillas at my local Superstore but if you’re having troubles finding them, your can take regular sized ones (for tacos) and using a round measuring cup cut around them. Slice up the leftovers and toast them with a little oil until crisp and use them as salad toppers (so we’re not wasting food)
- I found thin sliced chorizo worked best in this recipe, it was just enough flavour without being over bearing or too spicy but if chorizo is your jam, feel free to add more!
- I would suggest spraying your muffin pan with a non stick spray too, just to make sure nothing sticks.
- If you’re making ahead for the week, store in an air tight container and I’d suggest reheating in the oven to keep that tortilla crisp or a toaster oven but the microwave will do in a pinch too and they’re just as delicious cold too.
Mexican Egg Cups
These Mexican Egg Cups are a delicious start to the morning and they’re packed with healthy protein and fibre and a bit of kick from the chorizo!
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 9 Egg Cups
- 9 Mini Tortillas
- 9 Thin Slices of Chorizo
- 6 Eggs
- 1/3 Cup of Black Beans
- 1/2 Cup of Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1/2 Tsp of Sea Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a muffin pan for 9 egg cups
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and salt and pepper
- Place tortillas in the bottom of the muffin tins to create a cup
- Distribute eggs between the 9 tortilla ‘cups’ then place folded chorizo slices, black beans and cheese
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until eggs are fully set
- Remove and enjoy with avocado, or salsa
Like this post? Share with your friends!