Made in 10 Minutes!
I always have a jar or 3 of these quick pickled red onions in the fridge. A little sweet, a little tangy; they are so easy to make, and add such a great tastes when topped on most any dish. Not to mention the prettiest pink colour! From tacos to burgers, charcuterie boards, salads, and so on, the use for these pickled red onions are limitless.
After a visit to a local u-pick far later in the summer – I was actually there to pick the sour cherries that had just come into season but they had the most vibrant and fresh selection of markets vegetables to purchase as well. I couldn’t resist buying a bundle of these beautiful red onions.
Despite being the only one in my family that eats them I knew they’d go to good use if I pickled them. Let me tell you, did I ever cry like the dickens slicing up these onions! I don’t know if it’s because they were so fresh or because I used a mandoline (I’ve since been told a very sharp knife reduces the tears, please comment if you have any other tricks!) but wow they were powerful! Completely worth every tear I promise though and will add the best flavour as a topping to a number of different dishes.
I have a pickling mix that I’ve made in advance for other jarred goods that I’ve added to these pickled red onions just to give the flavour profile a little more depth and interest but use one or some or leave them out altogether if you wish. They are perfectly tasty without adding the pickling spices as well.
Pickled Red Onions
These quick pickled red onions are a MUST-HAVE fridge item! So easy to make and so pretty, the make the best addition and flavour boost to any meal.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 Large Jar
- 1 Large Red Onion Thinly Sliced
- 2 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tsp of Sea Salt
- 1/2 Cup of Boiled Water
- 1 1/4 Cups of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp of Pickling Spices (I like to use a combination of coriander seeds, Chiles, bay leaf, black pepper corns, clove, mustard seeds, dried ginger, cinnamon stick, all spice, juniper berries, dill but use any combination you’d like!)
- Peel and thinly slice red onion (I used a mandoline to slice mine) and place in a large mason jar
- Add sugar, salt and pickling spice and pour in boiled water
- Add apple cider vinegar over top and allow to cool before placing lid on
- Refrigerate and use as you like. Should keep in the fridge in an air tight jar for a month