Healthy Sheet Pan Meal – Gluten Free & Dairy Free
If there’s one thing that’s going to make your life any easier than being prepared for the week with meal prepped meals…it’s being prepped with a healthy sheet pan meal.
Literally a life saver for me (especially because I have a serious dislike for having to do dishes) I feel like everyone should have at least one go to sheet pan meal in their lives. The best part is the ingredients can be as minimal or as complicated as you like. If you’ve been following along you’ve probably noticed I’m a pretty big on flavour by now, although even just the lemon and thyme alone in this dish are more than enough, and definitely one of my favourite combinations. With so many options for ingredient combinations and flavours, I’m not really sure why I haven’t added one of these sheet pan meals until now, but I can promise you there will be more! For now I’m going with lots of fresh herbs and lemon because this girl bought a giant bag of lemons not to long ago and is bound and determined to use them all – no lemon left behind!!
I also had a random mixture of potatoes left over, some white potatoes from a vegan queso dip I recently tried and I usually always have red potatoes on hand. Please feel free to use whichever potatoes you fancy most. They add a good heartiness to this dish and the juices from the marinade and lemons and red onion get soaked up so nicely.
This sheet pan dish is perfect for prepping for the week but also a perfect go to for hosting as well! One pan, minimal fuss and cleaning is always a win in my opinion, especially when you have company.
Benefits of Sheet Pan Meals
- Minimal pots & pans to wash since it’s all baked on one sheet pan
- Easy to make – Just load up your pan with your choice of proteins, vegetables and flavours and you’re good to go!
- Healthy option; as it’s baked with minimal oil and uses the juices from the chicken and vegetables to cook
- High in flavour; since all of those flavours are cooking in there together
- So versatile and so many options! Endless combinations of ingredients!
I love how easy this dish is to put together with minimal work once it’s in the oven and big flavour return. I chose to let my chicken marinade for a couple hours but you really could get away with adding the chicken to the marinade and putting it right onto the pan if need be.
STEPS FOR THIS DISH
- Marinade chicken for at least 4 hours or overnight (optional)
- Toss vegetables in oil and spices and add to pan with chicken
- Allow denser vegetables and chicken to cook then add remaining vegetables mid way and finish baking
That easy! I’ll be adding more sheet pan meals as we go here but if you try this recipe, please let me know! Tag #extraforavocado on Instagram or comment below and rate this recipe! I’m always interested in hearing your feedback. xo
Sheet Pan Lemon & Thyme Chicken
An easy one pan meal with tons of flavour!
- 5 Chicken Breasts
- 6 Medium Sized Potatoes Washed and Quartered (I used red and white)
- 1 Medium Red Onion Cut into Large Wedge Pieces
- 1 Lemon Sliced
- 1 Bunch of Asparagus
- 1/3 Cup of Kalamata Olives
- 1/2 Tsp of Chilli Spice
- 1 Tsp of Chopped Chives
- 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
For Lemon & Thyme Marinade
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 Tbsp of Dijon
- 1 Tbsp of Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp of Fresh Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp of Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp of Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp of Paprika
- In a large air tight container or zip lock bag, add all ingredients for marinade and combine. Add Chicken breast and allow to sit for at least 4 hours or overnight
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a large bowl add potatoes, olive oil, onion wedges, chilli spice, chopped chives, and season with S&P, combine to coat vegetables
- Place vegetables on a large sheet pan, add the chicken breasts and pour remaining marinade (if any) over top
- Add kalamata olives and lemon slices on top
- Allow to bake for 20 mins, remove pan from oven and add asparagus and coat with juice from the pan
- Continue to cook for another 10-15 mins until chicken is fully cooked and potatoes are tender and slightly crisp
- Serve as is or divide into 5 meals for the week!