One Skillet Meal
A perfect option for a week night meal or enjoyed over the weekend, this Skillet Chicken will remind you of a restaurant style meal but made easily at home with ingredients you most likely have on hand. Crisp chicken with tender asparagus and a creamy but not heavy tomato sauce with goat cheese, all made in one pan!
I can’t even imagine how many different meals I’ve presented Joel (and our little guy) over the years we’ve been together, and I usually always get a thumbs up, even despite Joel being a somewhat picky eater, but when he goes out of his way to tell me he likes a dish, I know I’ve done something right!
Although my two year is very suspicious of all things green at the moment he very much enjoyed the chicken and tomato goat cheese sauce. If you’re a mom like me or just a regular person making dinner for themselves or you and your significant other, sometimes finding a meal that’s easy to make, somewhat healthy and actually pleasing is a difficult task. I find this skillet chicken meal is still a good balance in between. I did use a bit of heavy cream in this dish, mostly because I enjoy the bit of richness it adds to the dish but it is not necessary and the goat cheese will still add that nice creaminess to this dish.
Tips for Making This Dish
- I would suggest using a large skillet for this dish if you wish to make it all in one pan. If you don’t have one, feel free to use multiple pans, or I might suggest baking your chicken and asparagus in the oven and making your sauce separately in a pan. No wrong way to go about this!
- Make sure to cook your chicken first and make sure it is fully cooked.
- Wipe the pan slightly between the chicken and the asparagus just to removed some of the cooked bits left over so they don’t burn and then ruin the taste of your sauce once you prepare it.
- The asparagus is best cooked until it is tender but still somewhat firm. Nothing worse than over cooked mushy veggies!
Other Skillet Meals
Skillet Chicken with Creamy Tomato Goat Cheese Sauce
An easy and delicious One Skillet Chicken, pan crisped and served with tender asparagus and a creamy but not heavy, tomato and goat cheese sauce. The perfect week night meal!
- 3 Medium Chicken Breast (or 4 Small)
- 1 Large Bundle of Asparagus (Ends Trimmed)
- 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp of Minced Garlic
- 1/3 Cup of Small Onion Finely Diced
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp of Sea Salt
- 1/4 Tsp of Crushed Black Pepper
- 1 Can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
- 1/3 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup of Crumbled Goat Cheese + Additional to Garnish
- In a large skillet add oil
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, dried oregano and thyme and add to the pan, searing each side for roughly 5 -7 minutes or until fully cooked. Transfer to a plate and set aside
- Add asparagus to the pan with a bit of salt and pepper and cook until tender. Remove and set aside.
- Carefully with mitts, wipe the pan clean and return to the stove top. Add oil and once heated, add onion and garlic, cooking until slightly browned and aromatic.
- Add tomato paste and mix into onion and garlic, then the tomato sauce. Allow to simmer for approx 5 minutes and then add cream and goat cheese. Stir to combine and allow to simmer until sauce thickens slightly
- Add chicken and asparagus to sauce and crumble additional goat cheese on top to serve.