In partnership with Turkey Farmers of Canada
The weather has finally warmed up and I’m ready to cook all of our meals from here on out on the grill! Well, dinners for sure…
One of my most favourite dinners to make on the grill as skewers. They are such an easy and yet healthy meal to put together, proteins, vegetables and in this case fresh peaches and there’s just something about eating food off of a stick right?
As I’ve expressed many times in my recipes, easy doesn’t need to be short on flavour. These Turkey Peach Skewers have a little something for everyone’s taste palette. Tender turkey basted with a homemade tangy BBQ sauce with a bit of smokey heat from the chipotles and peaches marinated in butter, honey and vanilla caramelized from the grill add just the right balance to the kick from the BBQ sauce.
These Turkey Peach Skewers could be an easy weeknight meal, enjoyed al fresco on the back deck like most of our meals during the summer or enjoy with family over the weekend.
Homemade Chipotle Bourbon BBQ Sauce
It sounds way more complicated than it is, I promise! If you’re making it from scratch for the first time, you will be surprised by just how easy it is. It’s made with mostly pantry items and canned chipotles (which are found in most grocery stores along with Mexican food items). you really just need to measure out the ingredients, add them all to a small sauce pan and simmer until you get that slightly thick stick to your spoon and fingers desired consistency.
Now this recipe calls for Bourbon, because it just goes so well with the peach and chipotle flavours but you can omit it if bourbon or alcohol in general is not your preference. And speaking of presence, I STRONGLY recommend that you do a little taste testing throughout the process, the measurements I provide will give you a great tasting BBQ sauce but maybe you like it a little more sweet? Up the honey! Maybe you like it a little tangy? Add an extra splash of apple cider vinegar. Super spicy? Add another chipotle pepper in there. Don’t be afraid to play around.
The recipe for this Chipotle Bourbon BBQ Sauce is also more than likely going to leave you with leftover sauce. It stores nicely in the fridge in a mason jar or air tight container (once cooled) for up to two weeks to use on your grilling as you desire. If we’re keeping the theme of turkey based meals, try it on some:
- Pulled Turkey Sandwiches
- Turkey Meatballs
- A smoker turkey roast
- Turkey Burgers
To give a couple of examples
I find the turkey skewers and the peaches to be a pretty filling meal on their own but if you’re thinking of other idea of what you can serve alongside, here are some great options:
- A nice creamy coleslaw
- A summer salad packed with fresh produce
- Brown Rice
- A skillet Corn Bread
- Grilled Corn on the Cobb
If you have a couple leftovers grilled peaches, they work really nicely as a dessert too, serve up with a scoop of vanilla ice cream 😉
Turkey Peach Skewers with Chipotle Bourbon BBQ Sauce
Tender Turkey Skewers with Sweet Grilled Peaches and a homemade BBQ sauce made with chipotles and bourbon make for a delicious combinations of flavours just in time for grilling season!
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 Large Turkey Breast Fillets, Sliced into strips
- 3-4 Peaches, halved and pits removed
- 2 Tbsp of butter, melted
- 1 Tsp of Honey
- 1 Tsp of Brown Sugar
- 1/8 Tsp of Vanilla Paste
Chipotle Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- 1 Cup of Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp of Tomato Paste
- 1 Small Chipotle Pepper, Canned + 1 Tbsp of Adobo Sauce from Can (this makes for a BBQ sauce with a little heat (You can use more or less to your preference)
- 1/4 Cup of Bourbon
- 1/4 Cup of Molasses
- 1/4 Cup of Honey
- 1/4 Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of Worcestershire
- 1 Tsp of Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp of Onion Powder
- Preheat you grill to medium/high and using heat proof gloves & tongs, rub the grates with olive oil (make sure your BBQ has been cleaned and brushed off first)
- While your BBQ is heating, add all of the ingredients for the BBQ sauce to a small saucepan and allow to simmer until the sauce has slightly reduced and thickened. Stir occasionally so it does not burn on the bottom. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the melted butter, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla and pour over the halved peaches to coat
- Then add your turkey strips to your skewers (if you’re not using metal, make sure to pre soak wood skewers in water prior to using to avoid catching fire on your grill) I like to fold the strips onto themselves to help cook them evenly
- Once the peaches and your turkey skewers are prepped, transfer them onto the grill keeping them separate from on another. I like to place the peaches inside down on the grill to get those nice grill marks.
- Allow to cook until internal temp of turkey reaches reads 165F and peaches are tender and juicy, turning the skewers over mid way.
- Using a brush, brush the sauce onto the skewers and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes and flip, brush sauce on the other side and repeat.
- Remove the turkey skewers and the peaches from the grill and serve immediately
If you have extra BBQ sauce, store it in an air tight container or mason jar and keep it in the fridge to use on your grilling for the upcoming week!
Keywords: BBQ Turkey