It seems like forever since I’ve shared a good Chicken Drumstick recipe, like actually a year when I shared my Miso Mango Marinated Chicken Recipes. I figured it was time to share another! Crazy easy to make and perfectly paired with rice, salad, veggies, whatever your heart desires and best of all, chicken drumsticks happen to be super affordable! Marinated in creamy yogurt and warm and comforting Masala Spices these drumsticks are perfect year round and so full of delicious flavour!
Let's Talk About Masala!
It really doesn’t matter what time of year it is, I find masala goes great with all of the seasons, but my favourite time to enjoy it is when the temps start to dip a bit – dishes made with masala are like a warm hug with spices that warm you from the inside out. Yep, I have strong feelings about spice.
Lucky for me, my Dad brings me home a steady supply of masala blends from his part of the world, Nairobi Kenya.
The word Masala itself means a mixture of many spices. Depending on what region it comes from it can contain a different mixture of ground spices but usually contain warmer flavours and is very aromatic! Your house is guaranteed to smell amazing when you’re cooking with it.
Whereas I used one of the blends my father brought home, which contained the following:
- Mustard Powder
- Fennel Seed
- Black Pepper
You can easily find your own blend at pretty much any grocery store or you could get creative and make your own! So many combinations you can completely personalize to your liking!
I whipped up my yogurt and spice mixture first thing this morning (took about 5 minutes) and added it to my chicken drumsticks and let it sit until lunch and when my toddler was napping (AKA work time) and grilled them on the BBQ for about 20 minutes and served them with some basmati rice and fresh chopped cilantro and it made for the most delicious meal. So much flavour and the yogurt just keeps the chicken so moist and helps keep the flavours of the spices locked in.
If you’re reading this and it isn’t summer anymore: No worries! These chicken drumsticks can be made easily in the oven as well. Put them on a baking sheet with some parchment paper and cook on 375F until they’re fully cooked. Turning occasionally so all sides crisp!
Yogurt Masala Spiced Chicken Drumsticks
Chicken drumsticks marinated in creamy yogurt and warm masala spices that work well with any season! Cooked on the grill or baked in the oven and full of delicious flavour.
- Prep Time: 4 Hours
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 25 minutes
- Yield: 10 Pieces
- 10 Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 Cups of Plain Natural Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp of Cilantro Paste or Fresh Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Tsp of Ginger Paste or Fresh Grated Ginger
- 2 Tbsp of Masala Spice Mix (Mine contained turmeric, salt, mustard powder, ginger, garlic, fenugreek, fennel seed, coriander, cloves, cinnamon, chillies and black pepper)
- 1 Tsp of Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp of Garlic Powder
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Mix together the yogurt, cilantro, ginger, masala spice mix, sea salt, and garlic in a medium sized bowl
- Add yogurt mixture to the chicken in a large dish or ziplock bag and make sure the chicken is fully coated
- If using a dish, cover with wrap and place chicken in the fridge to marinate for minimum 4 hours or overnight
- Preheat grill (if baking preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper) place the chicken on the grill with a medium flame and brush remains yogurt mixture over drumsticks
- Allow to cook for 10 minutes, flip drumsticks and allow to cook for 15 minutes or until drumsticks are fully cooked
- Remove and serve immediately with some fresh chopped cilantro